11.28.2008

Stuffed Sweet Potatoes


Thanksgiving has come and gone and i'm sad cuz its one of my favorite holidays. Yeah the turkey is always good but its the side dishes that I always look forward too. My all time favorite are these stuffed sweet potatoes. I really don't care for sweet potatoes plain but when they are stuffed with pecans, brown sugar and toasted marshmallows, even the pickiest eaters will love them! Too bad they are only made once a year! Yummy!

Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
6-8 large sweet potatoes, with skins
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
2 cups pecans, toasted and coursely chopped
1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

1. Heat oven to 400˚
2. Place potatoes on baking sheet. Pierce potatoes in several places.
3. Bake in 400˚ oven until fork-tender, about 55-60 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a medium-size bowl, stir together butter and sugar until well blended. Gradually stir in pecans, marshmallows and flour until mixture forms loose crumbs.
5. Remove potatoes from oven. Cut a slash lengthwise in each potato. Using oven mitts, gently push together ends of each potato to open the slash. Season potatoes with salt and pepper. Stuff opening with marshmallow mixture. Return to oven.
6. Bake in 400˚ oven until stuffing is golden brown and melted, 5-7 minutes, taking care not to let the marshmallows burn. (I find that the marshmallows melt before this time is up. I like to add more to each potato when there is about a minute left.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

now that is heaven on a plate! they look so great too. thanksgiving isn't complete without them :)

Anonymous said...

Forget the birthday cake. I could make Shannon a whole plate of these and she would be happy. Mom

Kate said...

YUM! I am SO making these with my leftover yams.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Oh, wow! That is pure genius and so much easier! I'm not fond of turkey either, if I didn't have homemade gravy and cranberry sauce I wouldn't even touch it. The sides on the other hand, bring 'em on!

Thanks for sharing the recipe and I won't be waiting for next year to give it a try!
~ingrid

Mandy said...

yum! I don't care about sweet potato too, unless they are roasted. But your addition marshmallow and brown sugar are going to make it so much better. I need to bookmark this to try soon!