9.25.2008

Lauren's Fabulous Zucchini Bread

For the last couple of months, me and Scott have spent our Friday nights cooking yummy meals and then our friend Lauren comes over and we watch Stargate Atlantis. Well one night I tried my hand at making a banana bread. It as just okay, the flavor was good but I wasn't in awe with it. Lauren told me she had a good zucchini bread recipe and said she'd bring it over sometime. Well the next weekend she brought over some of the best zucchini bread EVER. My sister and I love this stuff. What's great about her recipe is that it reminds me so much of autumn. The flavors make me think of Halloween and pumpkins and the changing leaves. The recipe also can very easily be made into banana bread, just swapping the zucchini with 2 bananas. Its sooo yummy!

Zucchini (or Banana) Bread

1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 2/3 cups flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon (put in more if you want stronger flavor)
1/2 tsp. nutmeg (put in more if you want stronger flavor)
3/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/3 cup water
about 1 cup (shredded) zucchini or 2 (mashed) bananas depending on what kind of bread your making

Preheat oven to 350˚

Mix sugar and oil in large bowl. Add eggs and beat well. Add all dry ingredients and mix with water adding slowly. Mix until just combined, don't over mix. Fold in zucchini or bananas. Pour in a greased loaf pan and bake for 60 - 70 minutes. Check at 60 minutes. If still wobbly in center give it another 10 minutes. Cool completely. I like to store my loaf wrapped in foil, it keeps it super moist.

7 comments:

koosh @ candidkoosh said...

I just wanted to tell you I have made your zucchini bread several times and its always a hit, people wonder how come its so moist inside and crunchy on top(I think the sugar crystalizes while baking) Im making it again today and taking to a friends house. Thanks for the great recipe.

Shannon and Scott said...

Your welcome! :) Glad you like it!

CC11 said...

Just made this and it is super delicious!

Beth Budwig said...

This is great, thanks!

Has anyone tried this with nuts &/or chocolate chips?

Anonymous said...

We made it and replaced the sugar with honey. It was amazing. We also used coconut oil.

Beth Budwig said...

I've made this dozens of times now, and it's good with added toasted walnuts and even chocolate chips. Thanks!

Beth Budwig said...

Still making this. Best banana bread ever, making it tonight.